I’ve just spent 10 days in New York City, ostensibly for a conference but also to spend some time with Nic and some Aussie friends who were there as well. We were all together for my birthday and for the Easter break, which was grand.
We’ve been to New York enough now that we don’t feel the need to do the touristy things anymore. Instead, on this trip we pretty much ate and drank our way through the city. I think I need to go on an all-salad diet for the next two weeks.
Highlights from the trip:
(1) Getting to hang out with these crazy cats for 10 days. I’m going to miss them.
(2) Staying in Brooklyn, which is a really cool place. I hadn’t stayed outside Manhattan before so I was really glad we tried somewhere new this time. It was nice to have a home-base outside of the busy parts of the city. It also gave me a better appreciation of the different parts of New York – I never realised how big Brooklyn was before this trip!
(3) Stuffing ourselves silly at Caracas Arepa Bar. Soooo yummy!
(4) Catching up with a dear friend from Georgetown – and chatting away together as though we’d seen each other only yesterday (and not almost 2 years ago).
(5) Revisiting the Highline and Central Park. They are peaceful, magical refuges in a city that never stops.
(6) Pushing the boundaries of acceptable cheese consumption in one week: Murray’s Cheese Bar, S’Mac and Bedford Cheese Shop are all to blame for our cheese comas.
(7) All of us getting buzzed enough on cocktails and Argentinian red wine that we can’t stop laughing at our own in-jokes while we trapse around NYC streets and subway.
(8) Visiting beautiful and colourful shops to help Farenn pick out wool for a new scarf that she knit for me (thanks Faz!).
(9) Shopping. I’ve never been the kind of girl who goes to New York for the shopping, but this time I indulged a little and came away with several new lovely acquisitions.
(10) Finally trying American sweet pies. My fave was the pear with ginger crumble (above), but the key lime pie and berry pies were also exquisite. (Please excuse the photo, I got a little excited and forgot to take a photo before I took a bite!)
(Top photo by Nic, second photo by Mat)